Apple Stocks Sell-Off Continues After China Unveils Matching Tariffs



Apple stock dropped 4% in early Friday trading broadly following yesterday’s trend after China announced reciprocal tariffs in response to U.S. President Trump’s trade policies, MacRumors reported.

The latest decline follows Thursday’s dramatic 9% plunge that erased nearly $300 billion from Apple’s market value – the company’s worst single-day performance in five years – amid growing fears that Trump’s trade war will hurt the global economy. Apple’s market value was expected to be reduced further today as markets processed in China’s matching 34% tariff announcement.

China’s finance ministry announced it would impose a matching 34% tariff on U.S. imports starting April 10, one day after Trump’s new duties take effect. The country also restricted exports of rare earth elements critical for technology manufacturing and added 11 American businesses to its “Unreliable Entity List.”

Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariff plan particularly threatens Apple, which relies on Chinese manufacturing despite years of diversification efforts. The 54% effective rate on Chinese imports combines the new 34% tariff with an existing 20% charge.

CNN reported: China said Friday that it will impose reciprocal 34% tariffs on all imports from the United States from April 10, making good on a promise to strike back after US President Donald Trump escalated a global trade war.

On Wednesday, Trump unveiled an additional 34% tariff on all Chinese goods imported into the US, in a move poised to cause a major reset of relations and worsen trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

“This practice of the US is not in line with international trade rules, seriously undermines China’s legitimate rights and interests, and is a typical unilateral bullying practice,” China’s State Council Tariff Commission said in a statement announcing its retaliator tariffs.

Since returning to power in January, Trump had already levied two tranches of 10% additional duties on all Chinese imports, which the White House said was necessary to stem the flow of illicit fentanyl from the country to the US. Combined with pre-existing tariffs, that means Chinese goods arriving at the US would be effectively subject to tariffs of well over 54%

CNBC reported: China’s Finance Ministry on Friday said it will impose a 34% tariff on all goods imported from the U.S. starting on April 10, following duties imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration earlier this week.

“China urges the United States to immediately cancel its unilateral tariff measures and resolve the trade differences through consultation in an equal, respectful, and mutually beneficial manner,” the ministry said, according to a Google translation.

It further criticized Washington’s decision to impose 34% of additional reciprocal levies on China – bringing the total U.S. tariffs against the country to 54% — as  “inconsistent with international trade rules” and “seriously” undermining Chinese interests, as well as the endangering “global economic development and the stability of the supply chain,” according to a Google-translated report from the Chinese state news outlet Xinhua.


TSMC and Intel’s Partnership #1811



TSMC and Intel have reached a preliminary deal where TSMC will help operate Intel’s chip facilities and own a 20% stake in a new joint venture. The agreement, influenced by U.S. efforts to revitalize domestic chip production, may involve TSMC sharing manufacturing techniques and training Intel staff. While still in early stages, the move marks a surprising partnership between long-time rivals, driven by Intel’s mounting losses and TSMC’s industry dominance.

-Thinking of buying a Starlink? Use my link to support the show.

Subscribe to the Newsletter.
Join the Chat @ GeekNews.Chat
Email Todd or follow him on Facebook.
Like and Follow Geek News Central’s Facebook Page.
Download the Audio Show File
New YouTube Channel – Beyond the Office

Support my Show Sponsor: Best Godaddy Promo Codes
$11.99 – For a New Domain Name cjcfs3geek
$6.99 a month Economy Hosting (Free domain, professional email, and SSL certificate for the 1st year.) Promo Code: cjcgeek1h
$12.99 a month Managed WordPress Hosting (Free domain, professional email, and SSL certificate for the 1st year.) Promo Code: cjcgeek1w
Support the show by becoming a Geek News Central Insider

Continue reading TSMC and Intel’s Partnership #1811


Tech Stocks Sink After Trump Tariff Rollout



Technology stocks plummeted Thursday after President Donald Trump’s new tariff policies sparked widespread market panic, CNBC reported.

Apple led the declines among the so-called “Magnificent Seven” group, dropping more than 8%. The iPhone maker makes its devices in China and other Asian countries. The stock is on pace for its steeper drop since 2020.

The tech heavy Nasdaq Composite dropped more than 5% and is headed for its worst season in more than five years. The index is down 14% year to date.

Other megacaps also felt the pressure, Meta Platforms and Amazon fell about 7% each, while Nvidia and Tesla slumped more than 4%. Nvidia builds its new chips in Taiwan and relies on Mexico for assembling its artificial intelligence systems. Microsoft and Alphabet both fell 1% and 3%, respectively.

The drop in technology stocks came amid a broader market selloff spurred by fears of a global trade war after Trump unveiled a blanket 10% tariff on all imported goods and a range of higher duties targeting specific countries after the bell Wednesday. He said the new tariffs would be a “declaration of economic independence” for the U.S.

Kotaku reported: Fans faced a bit of sticker shock today when Nintendo revealed the Switch 2 would cost $450, especially with some new physical games set to cost as much as $90.

But the upgrading to the Mario maker’s next console generation is set to get even worse after President Donald Trump announced a new wave of shockingly high tariffs that could push the price of a Switch 2 in the U.S. over to $600.

The Trump administration revealed a new 10 percent across-the-board tariff for all foreign imports as well as a bevy of “reciprocal” tariffs aimed at individual countries the president claims are unfairly undercutting the U.S. when it comes to trade. 

Those include tariffs of 34 percent on China and up to 46 percent on Vietnam, where much of the manufacturing for the Switch 2 takes place. Cambodia, another country Nintendo sources from, would face a 49 percent tariff. The new tax hikes are set to go into effect on April 5.

NPR reported:President Trump’s sweeping tariff announcement Wednesday triggered a sharp drop in U.S. stock markets, a flashing-red warning sign of the economic fallout that’s expected to result from the widening trade war.

Around midday Thursday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average had tumbled over 1,200 points, or 3%. The broader S&P 500 index sank 4% and the tech-heavy Nasdaq index dropped nearly 5%.

Trump has ordered a minimum 10% tax on nearly all imports starting this weekend, with much higher tariffs on goods from dozens of countries, including some of the United States’ closest allies. Imports from the European Union will face a 20% tariff, while Japanese goods will be taxed at 24%.


France Fines Apple €150 million For “Excessive” Pop-Ups That Let Users Reject Tracking



France’s competition regulator fined Apple €150 million, saying the iPhone maker went overboard in its implementation of pop-up messages that let users consent to or reject tracking that third-party applications use for targeted advertising, ArsTechnica reported.

The App Tracking Transparency (ATT) framework used by Apple on iPhones and iPads since 2021 makes the use of third-party applications too complex and hurts small companies that rely on advertising revenue, said a press release today by the Autorité de la concurrence  (Competition Authority).

The system harms “smaller publishers in particular since, unlike the main vertically integrated platforms, they depend to a large extent on third-party data collection to finance their business,” the agency said.

User consent obtained via the ATA framework “authorize the application in question to collect user data for targeted advertising purposes,” the agency said. “If consent is given, the application can access the identifier for Advertisers (IDFA), the identifiers by which each device can be tracked through its use of third-party applications and sites.” The French investigation was triggered by a complaint lodged by the advertising industry associations.

AppleInsider reported: France’s Authorite de la Concurrence, its competition authority, first announced an antitrust investigation into Apple and its App Tracking Transparency (ATT) in July 2023.

Now according to Reuters, it has released its conclusion and also fined Apple — but for less than it had previously been expected to.

As with recent reports of the European Union reducing its fines to appease the US and avoid retaliatory tariffs, France has elected to fine Apple $162.4 million, where its regulations allow for up to 10% of a company’s annual global revenue.

The Verge reported: France’s competition watchdog (Autorité de la concurrence) ordered Apple to pay €150 million (~$162.4 million) after finding that its App Tracking Transparency system allows the company to abuse its dominance in the mobile app market.

In it’s decision, the authority says the initiative — which Apple pitches as a way to give users more control of their privacy — harms small publishers and “is neither necessary for nor proportionate with” Apple’s goal of protecting personal data.

Launched in 2021, Apple’s App Tracking Transparency initiative forces developers to show two pop-ups asking for permission to track users’ data across other apps and websites. Meanwhile,, approving location tracking with Apple’s own apps requires only a single tap — and so does opting out of location services on third-party apps.

“App Tracking Transparency gives users more control of their privacy through a required, clear, and easy-to-understand prompt about one thing: tracking,” Apple spokesperson Shane Bauer said in an emailed statement to The Verge. “That prompt is consistent for all developers, including Apple, and we have received strong support for this feature from consumers, privacy advocates, and data protection authorities around the world.”


Apple Is Said To Be Developing A Revamped Health App



An AI overhaul may be on the horizon for Apple’s Health App. In the Power On newsletter, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman reports that Apple is working on a much more comprehensive version of its Health App under the code name Project Mulberry, with plans to integrate an AI agent that would somewhat “replicate” a doctor and act as a personal health coach, Engadget reported.

In addition to making lifestyle recommendations based on users’ health data, the app will reportedly include educational videos from real doctors about an array of health topics.

The Health app will also put a new emphasis on food tracking and may even offer form correction tips for workouts using the device’s camera, Gurman reported. The service, unofficially being referred to as Health+, could arrive with iOS 19.4, which Gurman says is expected to be released next spring or summer.

Apple Insider reported: The company is currently planning to update its MacBook Pro lineup to an M5 processor later this year. Other Mac models will get the M5 upgrade as well, after the reveal and details of the M5 chip emerge during the June WWDC conference.

Current MacBook models rely on Qualcomm-based Wi-Fi chips to connect the devices to wireless internet. Apple has made it clear that it intends to move away from the dependency of Qualcomm for these components as soon as possible, though it will still use those chips in some upcoming products.

The anticipated M5 MacBook Pro is not expected to introduce any changes from the present case design, leaving the M5 chip upgrade as its primary new feature. However, Apple has big plans for its 2026 MacBook Pro update, according to a report from Bloomberg.

The 2026 model will mark the MacBook Pro’s 20th anniversary, will offer more than just a chip update to the M6. It is also believed to debut a new case design, and is expected to move to a thinner OLED screen.

9To5Mac reported: According to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman, Apple will be adopting its new in-house modems in another product in 2027: that being the M6 iPad Pro.

Apple first introduced its new in-house modems in the recently-released iPhone 16e. It was dubbed C1, and it was certainly a competitive entry into the market. It does lack mmWave through, and Apple is already working on future iterations touring it up to flagship-levels.

According to Gurman, a future-generation iPad Pro with M6 will be taking the leap to Apple’s in-house modems. This’ll replace the Qualcomm modems currently used on cellular versions of the iPad Pro.

Despite this M6 iPad Pro being in the rumor cycle already, it actually isn’t the next iPad Pro. Apple is working on an M5 iPad Pro that’ll be as soon as later this year, likely October, according to Gurman.


Elon Musk’s Startup Acquires X In Deal That Values Social Media Platform At $33 Billion



Elon Musk said Friday that his artificial intelligence startup, xAI, had acquired his social media platform, X. NBC News reported. He said the deal was an all-stock transaction that valued X at $33 billion.

“xAI and X’s future are intertwined. Today, we officially take the step to combine to data, models, compute, distribution, and talent,” Musk wrote in a post on X.

The deal combines two of Musk’s most high-profile companies, but because they are not publicly traded, no details about the deal were made public outside of Musk’s post. It’s unclear if the deal included any immediate windfall for Musk.

X recently raised $1 billion from investors, valuing it at $44 billion, according to Bloomberg. Musk then took X (then Twitter) private in 2022 at nearly the same valuation. Musk was recently served with an SEC summons in the long-running lawsuit over Musk’s alleged failure to disclose his ownership in Twitter before bidding to buy it entirely.

The Verge reported: A few years after buying Twitter for $44 billion, Elon Musk announced that his AI business xAI has acquired the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

In a tweet, he described it as an all-stock transaction, valuing xAI at $80 billion and X at $33 billion, including $12 billion in debt it had as part of its takeover. “This combination will unlock immense potential by blending XAI’s advanced AI capability and expertise with X’s massive reach.” writes Musk.

Despite falling so far to make X an “everything app,” Musk has tied these two ventures together closely since launching xAI in the summer of 2023, saying that the vast trove of data from Twitter/X would give it a major advantage and prominently placing xAI’s Grok tool within the social app.  This week, Grok launched an integration beyond X, joining Telegram.

The Guardian reported: Elon Musk’s xAI artificial intelligence firm has acquired Musk’s X – the social media platform formerly known as Twitter — for $33bn, marking the latest twist in the billionaire’s rapid consolidation of power.

The all-stock deal announced Friday combines two of Musk’s multiple portfolio companies, which also include automaker Tesla and SpaceX, and potentially eases Musk’s ability to train his AI model known as Grok.

Musk announced the transaction in a post on X, saying: “Today, we officially take the step to combine the data, models, compute, distribution and talent.”

Neither X nor xAI spokespersons immediately responded to requests for comment. Much of the deal’s specifics remained unclear, such as how investors may be compensated, how X leaders would be integrated into the new firm or the prospect of regulatory scrutiny.

 


DOGE Plans To Rebuild SSA Codebase In Months, Risking Benefits And System Collapse



The so-called Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) is starting to put together a team to migrate the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) computer systems entirely off one of its oldest programming languages in a matter of months, potentially putting the integrity of the system — and the benefits on which tens of millions of Americans rely — at risk, WIRED reported.

The project is being organized by Elon Musk lieutenant Steve Davis, multiple sources who were not given permission to talk to the media tell WIRED, and aims to migrate all SSA systems off COBOL, one of the first common business-oriented programing languages, and onto a more modern replacement like Java within a scheduled tight timeframe of a few months.

Under any circumstances, a migration of this size and scale would be a massive undertaking, experts tell WIRED, but the expedited deadline runs the risk of obstructing payments to the more than 65 million people in the US currently receiving Social Security benefits.

SSA has been under increasing scrutiny from president Donald Trump’s administration. In February, Musk took aim at SSA, falsely claiming that the agency was rife with fraud. Specifically, Musk pointed to the data he allegedly pulled from the system that showed 150-year-olds in the US were receiving benefits, something that isn’t actually happening. 

Over the last few weeks, following significant cuts to the agency budget DOGE, SSA has suffered frequent website crashes and long wait times over the phone, the Washington Post reported this week.

Politico reported: Elon Musk and his staffers from the Department of Government Efficiency defended their work in an hour long interview on Fox News as they look to cut down the size of the federal government and eliminate “fraud and waste.”

In the wide-ranging interview Thursday, Musk and his staffers — a group that has been notably out of the public spotlight amid ongoing controversies from DOGE — laid out their vision for efficiency across government agencies, from the Interior Department to the Small Business Administration.

Since the beginning of the second Trump administration, Musk and his team at DOGE have cut down entire agencies and instituted mass layoffs and voluntary buy-outs. Musk said they’ve made progress, but there’s more to do.

Musk and his team tackled one of the great controversies they’ve faced in their mission to modernize the federal government: social security.

Democrats have slammed Musk for cutting jobs and creating instability within the Social Security Administration. The Social Security Administration website has crashed numerous times of the last few weeks, while the agency has been overwhelmed with phone calls and has plans to cut thousands of staffers.

RawStory reported: WIRED is reporting that Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency is launching a major effort to completely rebuild the codebase used by the Social Security Administration in a matter of mere months.

According to experts who spoke with Wired, the effort to migrate the SAA’s database from the COBOL programming language to a more modern language such as Java.

Experts who spoke with WIRED said that this kind of operation is fraught with peril and could trigger what the publication describes as a “system collapse” if not done with the utmost care.